Degree in Computer Science
The curriculum of the Degree in Computer Science takes up 240 ECTS credits, distributed in four years.
The first three years comprise the basic training and compulsory subjects, corresponding to 180 credits. All these contents are developed in subjects of 6 ECTS credits each.
In the fourth year 12 compulsory credits, 30 optative credits, and 18 credits for the final project are studied. These elective credits have to be chosen from only one of the offered Minors:
- Minor in Computer Science
- Minor in Mathematics
- Minor in Business Administration
- Minor in Bioinformatics
Minors are reflected in the European Supplement to the Degree. In all cases, there is the possibility of obtaining 6 ECTS credits from academic recognition for several types of activities.
In the Minor in Computer Science, there is the possibility of obtaining up to 12 credits by doing Internships in companies. In the other Minors, internships do not account for credits.
Look up subjects by minor
The qualification in Computer Science has the fundamental goal of technological, scientific and socioeconomic training in the area of Informatics
The degree provides an extense study of computers and algorithms as computational processes including principles, software and hardware design, applications and their impact on society. The studies are aimed to the basic training of professionals able to do two specific types of tasks in the world of informatics:
- (1) designing and implementing software, and
- (2) designing and implementing innovative IT solutions in newly appeared work areas.
The first profile intends to train professionals capable of taking up job offers requiring an elevated level of programming, either for the complexity of the projects being developed or for the level of innovation that the proposed application supposes. These professionals need to have a basic, solid training at a theoretical level, completed with knowledge on methodologies and work strategies for environments of all kinds, including business.
The second profile intends to train professionals who, in the field of the uses of Informatics, can work in some area which is innovating in the use of Computer Science. More specifically, there have been identified three areas of special interest:
- -Advanced applications of Computer Science in the Internet world (including mobile technologies).
- -Applications of Informatics in scientific areas, such as Biotechnology.
- -Applications of Informatics in the processing and analysis of great volumes of non-structured information.
The degree, besides preparing for the professional exercise in the development and application of the information technologies, has to give a basic and expert training in Computer Science that allows the graduate to be able to continue their studies at a superior level (master, doctorate, etc.).
Furthermore, respect for fundamental and equality between men and women’s rights will be transmitted to the students, as well as non-discrimination and universal accessibility for disabled people.General competences:
- Being able to apply the acquired knowledge to elaborate and defend argumentations and to solve problems related to computer science.
- Being able to gather up and interpret relevant data to issue judgements which include a reflection on relevant subjects related to computer science.
- Being able to work autonomously and making decisions.
- Having the capacity of critical and logical reasoning.
- Having communicative abilities.
- Having the ability of abstraction: cretaing and using models that reflect real situations.
- Having creativity and entepreneurship.
- Designing and carrying out tests and experiments, and analysing and interpreting the results.
- Autonomously acquiring new knowledge and techniques for the conception, development and operation of IT systems.
Specific competences of the degree:
- Conceiving, organizing, planning, developing, writing and signing projects in the field of Computer Engineering, which, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree have the objective of conceptualizing, developing or operating systems, services and applications. Ability to direct the activities of projects in the area of informatics, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree.
- Designing, developing, evaluating and ensuring the accessibility, ergonomics, usability and security of systems, services and computer applications, and the information they manage
- Defining, evaluating and selecting hardware and software platforms to develop and execute systems, services and computer applications, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree.
- Ability to conceive, develop and maintain systems, services and computer applications using the methods of software engineering as an instrument to ensure their quality, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree.
- Conceiving and developing computer systems or architectures, centralized or distributed, which integrate hardware, software and networks, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree.
- Ability to know, comprehend and apply the necessary legislation, handling specifications, regulations and rules of mandatory abiding during the development of the profession of technical in computer engineering.
- Knowledge of the basic subjects and the technologies that enable the learning of new methods and technologies and to develop them, which also gives them versatility to adapt to new situations.
- Ability to solve problems with initiative, decision-making, autonomy and creativity.
- Knowing how to communicate and transmit knowledge, abilities and skills concerning technical computer engineering.
- Knowledge to elaborate measurements, calculations, assessments, taxations, surveys, studies, reports, task planning and other kinds of work analogous to Computer Engineering, according to the knowledge acquired in the degree.
During the last years, there have been carried out studies on labor integration for graduates in Computer Science, which show that their prospects are of great interest and usefulness in different fields, such as:
- Leadership of computing projects related with software and hardware, including the management of human teams, resources and relations with clients.
- Management and operation of the knowledge and information in digital support.
- Study and transmission of technology to other professionals.
- Taking part in R+D projects in public and private centers.
- Teaching and research.
- Analysis and programming in all kinds of informatic applications.
- Administration of IT systems and computer networks of great complexity.
- Responsability in departments of computer technology.
A report on labor insertion for the degree, provided by AQU-Catalonia confirms the application in the areas of:
- Communication technologies
- Education and research.
- Business services.
- Financial institutions.
For other studies related to Computer Science, employment statistics are similar.
To get to know the rules that regulate the permanence of students in the University, check the following links:
To know the minimum credits for every tuition and term that the Univerity of Barcelona stablishes, check the following links:
- Article 7.2 «Minimum and maximum credits for tuition»:http://www.ub.edu/acad/noracad/matricula/welcome.html
Nombre de places de nou ingrés