Simultaneous Degrees of Mathematics and Computer Science
The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science of the University of Barcelona has organized a specific itinerary that allows studying the Degree in Computer Science and in Mathematics simultaneously.
The basic features of this double itinerary are:
- Two degree titulations are obtained, with the respective minors:
- Degree in Computer Science, with Minor in Mathematics.
- Degree in Mathematics, with Minor in Computer Science.
- 348 ECTS credits have to be obtained (much less than the 480 to obtain the two separate degrees).
- The total intended duration of the studies is 11 semesters (less than the 16 semesters studying both degrees separately).
- The double itinerary consists in a scheduling of the subjects of both studies. The faculty has setteled equivalence tables to even out subjects of each major.
- Every semester has to combine teaching of both majors. In the first three courses, the subjects from Computer Science are imparted in the morning, and the ones from Mathematics in the afternoon. In the latter courses it works the other way around.
- The only way to be admitted in the double itinerary is from the offer of specific vacancies of new access at the Office for the Orientation to University Access. Currently, 20 seats are offered.
Distribution of the credits to obtain, according to the type of subject:
|Basic Training of the Degree in Mathematics||BT||42|
|Compulsory Subject of the Degree in Mathematics||CO||108|
|Basic Training of the Degree in Computer Science||BT||36|
|Compulsory Subject of the Degree in Computer Science||CO||126|
|End-of-Degree projects(*)||TR||18 + 18|
|(*) There is the possibility of conducting one project for both degrees|
You can find the regulation of the UB for simultaneous studies here:
Look up the specific information of each of the two studies
to obtain information about the objectives of the studies, the competences they fulfill, the prospects of professional training and labor insertion, etc.
Next is detailed the list of subjects to be studied in the double itinerary, as well as its scheduling in the 11 semesters. The DEGREE column indicates which of the two titulations is in charge of the subject’s teaching.
M: Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science (Mathematics Degree. First year only subgroup F)
CS: Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science (Computer Science Degree. First year only subgroup F)
First year. Semester 1
|Matrices and Vectors||6||BT||M|
|Introduction to Differential Calculus||6||BT||M|
|Mathematical Language of Reasoning Types||6||BT||M|
Second year. Semester 3
|Data Analysis and Introduction to Probability||6||BT||M|
|Numerical Methods I||6||CO||M|
|Basic Digital Design||6||BT||CS|
Third year. Semester 5
|Differential Calculus of Several Variables||6||CO||M|
Fourth year. Semester 7
|Operating Systems II||6||CO||CS|
Fifth year. Semester 9
|Numerical Methods II||6||CO||M|
|Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces||6||CO||M|
|Workshop of New Uses of Computer Science||6||CO||CS|
Sixth year. Semester 11
|Ethics and Laws||6||CO||CS|
|End-of-Degree Projects||18 + 18||PROJECT||M/CS|
First year. Semester 2
Second year. Semester 4
|Introduction to Integral Calculus||6||BT||M|
|History of Mathematics||6||CO||M|
|Introduction to Computers||6||BT||CS|
Third year. Semester 6
|Integral Calculus of Several Variables||6||CO||M|
|Integrated Software Project||6||CO||CS|
|Embedded Computer Architectures||6||CO||CS|
|Operating Systems I||6||CO||CS|
Fourth year. Semester 8
|Mathematical Models and Dynamical Systems||6||CO||M|
|Human Factors and Computing||6||CO||CS|
Fifth year. Semester 10
|Topology and Global Geometry of Surfaces||6||CO||M|
|Logic and Languages||6||CO||CS|
|Graphics and Data Visualization||6||CO||CS|