Simultaneous Degree of Mathematics and Physics
The University of Barcelona, from the faculties of Mathematics and Physics, has organized, since the year 2009-10, a specific itinerary that allows studying the Degrees of Mathematics and Physics simultaneously.
Admission to this double degree is obtained, exclusively, by university preregistration. There are 20 seats.
The basic features of this double itinerary are:
- Two degree titulations are obtained, with the respective minors:
- Physics Degree, with intensification in Fundamental Physics and Minor in Mathematics.
- Mathematics Degree, with Minor in Physics.
- From the 2020-2021 academic year, a total of 330 ECTS credits must be taken and passed, much less than the 480 required to do the two separate degrees.
- The total intended duration of the studies is 10 semesters (depending on the End-of-Degree project date), much less than the 16 semesters studying both degrees separately.
- The double itinerary consists in a scheduling of the subjects of both studies. The faculty has setteled equivalence tables to even out subjects of each major.
- Every semester has to combine teaching of both majors. The Mathematics subjects are taught in the morning; and the Physics’, in the afternoon.
- A double itinerary student is, in fact, student of both faculties, and has to handle every administrative matter in the corresponding center.
After 3 years of experience, it has been decided to make some changes in this double itinerary, as well as in the recognition tables associated to it. Then,
- There is a double itinerary (and recognitions) for the students who started the years 2009-10, 2010-1, or 2011-12.
- There is another double itinerary (and other recognitions) for the students starting from the year 2012-13 or later.
- There is another double itinerary (and other recognitions) for the students starting from the year 2020-21 or later.
Distribució dels crèdits a superar, segons el tipus d’assignatura, és la següent:
|Acronym|| ECTS credits
|Basic Training of the Mathematics Degree||FB||36|
|Compulsary credits of the Mathematics Degree||OB||108|
|Basic Training of the Physics Degree||FB||30|
|Compulsary credits of the Physics Degree||OB||78|
|Optative Training in Mention in Fundamental Phyiscs and Minor in Mathematics of the Degree in Physics||OTM||48|
|Optative Subject of Mathematics or Physics (Minor in Mathematics)||OT||6|
|End-of-Degree Projects||TR||18 + 6|
* It changes from the course 2020 – 2021. Distribution of the credits to be passed until the course 2019 – 2020
You can find the regulation of the UB for simultaneous studies here:
Look up the specific information of each of the two studies: