What to do:
1. Fill out the application form for the authorization of the thesis deposit (Form 1).
The application is appended by the following documents:
- Reports from the director(s) of the thesis and the tutor, on the authorization of the deposit (Form 2).
- The document with the activities conducted by the doctoral student (monitoring reports) .
- A bound copy of the thesis signed by the doctoral student. Minimun content of the thesis :
- The cover or the first page should contain at least the following information: name of the doctoral program, title of the thesis, name, and surname(s) of the candidate, the director(s) and tutor,
- The thesis must include a general introduction, methodology, results and argumentative development, the final conclusions, and bibliography.
- The Academic Committee of the program may establish other requirements of format and content depending on the scope of the thesis. In case of submitting the thesis as a compendium of publications or theses under processes of protection or technology transfer or knowledge, the provisions of Article 37 of the Regulations have to be taken into account.
- A digital copy of the thesis and the curriculum in pdf format.
- The completed form with the necessary data on the thesis for publication later in the institutional repository and the UB TDX Theses Repository (Form 3) (Form 4) with a summary of maximum 600 words in the language of the thesis and an extract of 350 words (in Catalan or Spanish if the thesis is in English) – more information here
- The completed form with the necessary data for the TESEO database using the standard (Form 5). TESEO sheet must include at least the candidate’s personal information, the summary of the thesis and the UNESCO codes.
- Proposal of 5 experts , doctors, to be part of the court and brief explanatory report of the curriculum of each of the members proposed (Form 6). Will also be included a proposal , at least, of 2 possible external evaluators of the doctoral thesis (can be part of the court).
- If the candidate applies for the concession of the international mention:
- Accredit the stay via the certificate issued by the head of the research group in the institutions where it was carried out, having completed a minimum of three months outside of Spain in a higher education institution or a research center of prestige.
- At least, one of the members of the court must belong to a non Spanish higher education institution or research center, and has to be different from who has certified the research stay or activities carried out during the stay.
- Submit 2 favorable reports of the doctoral thesis of 2 expert doctors from a non-Spanish higher education institution or research institute center.
- Part of the doctoral thesis, at least the summary and the conclusions, must been written and defended in one of the usual languages for scientific communication different from the official and co-official languages in Spain, except that the stay, the reports and the experts come from a Spanish or Catalan-speaking country. (This requirement will be accredited by the president of the tribunal that will evaluate the thesis)
- IMPORTANT: once the thesis has been defended, before requesting the degree certificate, in maximum 3 months from the day after the defense, the doctoral student may apply for the concession of the international doctor’s mention submitting to the General Registry of the UB or to the Electronic Office of UB ( generic instance ) adressed to the Secretary’s Office (Secretaria d’Estudiants i Docència -SED) the application for the concession of the international mention which will be resolved by the Academic Committee of the doctorate program.
- Declaration signed by de doctoral student stating that the thesis is original, the ethical codes and good practices have been complied with, the thesis does not contain plagiarsm and that the student knows and accepts that the thesis will be subjected to procedures to check its originality. (Form 7)
- Declaration signed by the director of the doctoral thesis stating that the ethical codes and good practices have been complied with and that He/She is not aware that any plagiarism has occurred.(Form 8)
2. Submit the documentation to the General Registry of the UB or to the Electronic Office of UB ( generic instance ) adressed to the Secretary’s Office (Secretaria d’Estudiants i Docència -SED) who will send it to the Academic Comission of the Doctoral Program.
3. Pay the tax for the doctoral dissertation: After receiving permission to read the thesis, the student, has to pay the tax and submit to the SED the proof of payment of the rights for the doctoral defense in màximun 10 days .
4. Book the classroom for the defense: Only if the defense is not a telematic defense the classroom booking has to be made ,at least, seven calendar days berore the date of holding the defense of the doctoral thesis,
(Process diagram – catalan)
- The Academic Committee of the Doctoral Program must resolve this request for the authorization of the thesis deposit within 20 days, counting from the day following the date of entry in the General Register of the UB. The agreement of the doctoral committee is notified by electronic means and, if favorable, the academic secretary of the commission communicates the chairman of the research and doctoral committee of the Faculty, enclosing a copy of the thesis approved, and all the documentation generated.
- The chairman of the Doctoral Committee of the Faculty has 5 days to publish the thesis deposit on the website of the faculty. The authorized copy of the thesis remains deposited in the SED, for a period of 7 days, counting from the day following the publication of the resolution on the website. During this period, any doctor can examine the thesis and formulate written allegations.
- The Faculty Research and Doctoral Committee, within 20 days after the deadline of deposit, must decide whether to authorize or not the defense of the thesis. If the commission authorizes the defense of the thesis, it shall appoint the members of the court and notify the resolution to the doctoral student, the thesis supervisor, and tutor of the thesis,
- Within the maximum period of 10 working days from the day of receiving authorization for reading the thesis, the student must pay the tax for the defense and submit to the SED the proof of payment rights for doctoral dissertation.
- After receiving these documents, within 10 days, the Research and Doctoral Committee of the Faculty announces the appointment of tribunal members 3 (and 2 substitutes), attaching a digital copy of the thesis and doctoral curriculum to the tribunal members, and the doctoral student activity document. The proposed members must communicate their acceptance within 10 days, by e-mail, provided that at the date of the defense they provide the original.
- The president of the court, having carried out consultations with the other members of the tribunal, shall convoke the public act of defense of the thesis (in 3 months maximun).
- With a minimum of seven calendar days before the date of the celebration, the court secretary shall notify in writing the notice of the public act of defense of the doctoral dissertation to the other members of the court, the doctoral candidate, the chairman of the doctoral committee, the director of the thesis, the tutor of the thesis, if there’s any, and the Secretariat of Students and Teaching of the center.
- The date and place of the reading will be published on the website of the faculty.
·PhD thesis of Ph.D. in mathematics read since 1998